Our Honeymoon Adventures Begin!

Good morning from Mrs. Anderson! (Since Sunday, I’ve been using my new name more than is truly necessary because I still cannot get over the fact that I am MARRIED!)

It’s about 7am here in Bangkok (on Wednesday, March 18) and I figured it’s as good a time as ever to write in my highly underutilized blog. So here it goes — I am documenting our Thai honeymoon!

We left for the airport around noon on Sunday, March 15, for the first leg of our trip halfway across the globe. Houston to Los Angeles was not too exciting, aside from being in a little roomier seats in first class. Of course we were exhausted from our wedding celebrations the night before so we slept some of the way. When we landed we found out that Chris’ old friend from college was working in LA and was around the airport area waiting to drop his wife off from visiting for the weekend, so we actually got to get out of the airport for a bit. They picked us up and we went to a nearby park to enjoy the nice weather, catch up and watch the planes come in. After he dropped us off, we had to sit around the airport for a few hours to wait to check into our international flight and check our bags again. We lazed around the fancy outdoor patio and I took a snooze on one of the couches.

About midnight it was finally time for us to depart. We got on our EVA Airways flight and I was instantly impressed. We flew business class where each person got their own little pod area fully stocked with Fiji water, noise canceling headphones, a little restroom kit (with socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, an eye mask for sleeping, body lotion, lip balm, and a hair brush), a down comforter, a pillow and a personal TV. Also, the seats lay all the way flat so it’s very easy and a lot more comfortable to sleep — which you need to do on a 14 hour flight! They served coursed meals that were pretty tasty and the flight attendants made it very comfortable and relaxing. Chris ruined me now — I’ll never want to fly a long international flight in economy again!!

We arrived in Taipei around 5am and again had to sit around in the airport club while we waited for our final flight to Bangkok. They had an awesome spread of food, nice showers and modern seating areas. Chris and I took some time to jot down our memories from the wedding so we can go back and read them every now and then (we have so many good ones!). The Taipei airport was one of the cooler airports I’ve ever been to. Each gate was decorated differently and they had a massive shopping area with every kind of designer brand you could think of. The Hello Kitty gate was my favorite!

Bangkok is interesting. We got to see some of the city while we were on our taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. It reminds me a lot of Mexico City, but with an Asian flare, of course. One thing we immediately noticed is that there are sooo many scooter drivers, and they literally give ZERO cares about lanes or space. I swore we were going to get hit or hit someone at least two dozen times in our half hour drive. Many of the drivers don’t even wear helmets and they stack up to four people on one small scooter. I thought Houston driving was a little crazy. We got nothing on Thai drivers! The side streets are so congested and are more like little alleyways.

We finally arrived at the hotel and found out upon check-in that they upgraded us to a suite! It’s really nice with a living area and two bathrooms. They left us a beautiful bouquet of flowers and two towels folded into swans to make a heart shape. Taking a shower felt so fantastic after such a long trip. We made tea time at our hotel and afterward decided to take a walk around the block to find a place to get a massage. I thought the foot massage spas were cheap at home, but here they are only about $16! Chris asked if you could overdo massages – HAH, please!

After our super relaxing massages we took the train to an area called Nana to grab some street food for dinner and check out the night market. We had some authentic seafood pad Thai and chicken fried rice that was pretty tasty. We were surprised at the amount of people on the streets and at the bars so early on a Tuesday (we lost a day coming here so everyone was celebrating St. Paddy’s – which I also didn’t expect to see). We had some time to kill while the vendors were getting set up so we walked around a little Middle Eastern mall and grabbed a cold beer at an outdoor patio place.

The night market wasn’t as great as I thought it would be. It was mostly cheap jewelry, trickety items, Americanized clothing, a lifetimes supply of Viagra and other sketchy things.

We still can’t decide what we think of the city. There is a lot more English than we expected (on billboards and around in general). It’s very large (6.4 million people) and very cheap to buy things (we found out minimum wage is $10 a day!) The people are incredibly hospitable though, I really like their humble culture.

Today we are going to venture out to the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha and the Temple of Dawn. I think it will be much more exciting!

Until my next update ❤


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s